On my way to work one day, I drove down a little road I rarely drive down, and the owners were clearly housecleaning. The curb was full of things they were finished with: An Exersaucer, a double stroller, stuffed animals. And this kid-sized early-American glider rocker. I snatched the rocker, with big plans to tackle it that weekend and make it a little fresher and a little more feminine for Sylvia’s room.
This was summer 2010.
For two years I was stared at by this this chair, stuffed in a corner of our too-small basement, mocking my good intentions while it was buried under 48-count V-8 packs from Costco. At some point, maybe a year ago, I sprayed it with primer, sure I’d finish it shortly. And there it sat, primed, under V-8 packs.
But this past wekeend I finally spray painted it, and a couple nights ago I used the old, pseudo-wool cushions as a pattern to make new cushions. The cushions are simply enveloped, so I can slip them off to wash them when I need to. Total, I think this took me maybe three hours. Three hours and two years.
The fabric came from my rather ponderous stash, so the only expense was new pillow stuffing and a $3 bottle of spray paint.
I snuck the finished chair into Sylvia’s room while she was sleeping. The next morning she stumbled downstairs, not noticing her new chair. When I came up later, she was sitting in it, rocking a doll. She loves it.
Maybe this will give me the confidence to tackle the yard-sale antique chair in the yard barn that I’m planning to reupholster. Ya know, one of these days.